Tuesday, June 23, 2009

What is a Can? I am a Can.

So, what is a can? A can is a metal container that can be used to hold and store beverages or foods, and sealed for long lasting shelf life.


A can is also the special place in the house where some of us do our best reading. Yes, I am talking about the bathroom, the john, the head, the crapper, the loo (for our British friends); and as we used to say in the firehouse, the shitter.

But I am referring mostly to the ethnicity of a Can. You see, a CAN can be a Puerto RiCAN, a MexiCAN, JamaiCAN, or a DominiCAN. Of course, this can also apply to my favorite and scariest conspiracy, a CANadian. But I will get to those sneaky Canuks latter on.

So, can you guess which one of those CANS are US Citizens? Dominicans? Nope, but they can send us some great pro baseball players :)

Jamaicans? Be serious. They speak with a funny British accent and talk about the ganja mon. "Pass the dutchie and..." could never remember the rest of the words between tokes. And speaking of tokes, up in smoke.......sorry, started ranting about something totally different.

Cubican? That ain't even a word.

Mexican? Just because Mexico's largest export is workers into the US, nope. And trust me, about 80% of the menu in Taco Bell sure as hell ain't Mexican cousine.

So, it must be Puerto Ricans. Yes, the Shining Star. Do you know that over 80% of all the rum made is made in Puerto Rico? Unfortunately, about 90% of all the rum made in Puerto Rico is drank by the folks on the island, so there is not much left to export. Yes, Ron Rico, Bacardi, Don Q, Captain Morgan, Ron Llave, Castillo, Barrilito; and there are a few that I have tasted now and then. Please don't do the 151 proof. Anything that is labeled as "FLAMMABLE" cannot be that good for you.

Back to the cans...Puerto Rico is a small island in the Caribbean sea. It is 100 miles by 35 miles, and has a population of close to 4 million folks. Of course, there are about 6-8 million Puerto Ricans in Nu York city, Shecago and other places. How did we manage to outnumber the population of our home island in the mainland?

So there you have it. I am born and bred in Puerto Rico, from Puerto Rican parents. My race is white, but because of where I was born, I am a minority. Funny part is that my heritage and lineage on both sides of the family are whiter than most caucasians.

8 comments:

  1. Bwahahahaha...Cubican is a good one hon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, here I thought if it said flammable it was the good stuff!! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LMFAO @ 80% of Mexico's imports are US workers! I'm Indonesian, well my DAD is Indo. So I guess I'm a minority too? Or he is? Whatever, doesn't matter. I'm just rolling on the floor about the 80%...

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! What an entertaining post. I'd never have guessed you were Puerto Rican :) Cubian, lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very entertaining. Though I was surprised you never mentioned "AmeriCAN" and all of the mixed-up-races that encompasses. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always wanted to go to PR. Now I know where to get a tour guide!

    Welcome to the world of blogging. Once you're in, we NEVER LET YOU GO!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to the blogosphere! I'm curious about your conspiracy theory about we folk who live above the 49th parallel.

    Thanks for the chuckle!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Vic! So as a rum afficionado by birth, what rum do you recommend?!?! (I'm serious...my hubby loves the stuff) Welcome to the blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete